Tuesday, May 7, 2013

tuesday treat: tacos/tortilla soup

The treat about today's recipe is that it's actually 2 recipes! :)

Last week I tried a pinterest recipe for

CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACOS

So simple:

2-3 chicken breasts
1 jar salsa (I used Pace medium)
1 packet taco seasoning (I used McCormick)

Combine ingredients, give it a stir, and then leave it!
6-8 hours on low, 4-6 hours on high.

When it's finished, the chicken shreds very easily and we had ours as soft tacos in tortillas, with lettuce, cheese, salsa, and I used a bit of greek yogurt instead of sour cream. So yummy!

The second recipe you get out of this is to use the leftover chicken meat (it makes alot, especially for just 2 people) to make:

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

(same source)

I looked a few different recipes and used what I had and what we like, so my recipe is a bit different than the one she posted, but same basic idea :)
Here's what I used:

Leftover shredded chicken meat
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small chopped onion
24-32 oz chicken broth (I put in a little less as I like to make soup a little more chunky)
Chili powder
Onion powder
Cumin
Salt
Pepper (Spices to taste)

Shredded Cheese (I used Monterrey Jack)
Tortilla strips (I used Mission)




Dump everything in the crockpot besides the cheese and tortilla strips. Give it a stir and leave it - Same directions as before - 6-8 hours on low, 4-6 hours on high. When ready to serve, scoop out into a bowl and top with cheese and tortilla strips. This was great and I loved being able to use the chicken meat in a different way!

The crockpot is so great too, because once you have everything dumped in and it's hot, it's ready to eat whenever! Run your errands, and you can leave it cooking so it's ready when you are. It also makes your kitchen smell delicious all day :)

If you try these, let me know what you think! Ben and I were definitely a fan!

1 comment: